Acne is most common in teenagers, but it can develop in adults too. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), 17 million people in the U.S. suffer from acne. The cause is most often a hormonal imbalance that causes glands to produce more oil than they normally do which clogs the skin pores and becomes infected with bacteria. There are several kinds of treatments, but many people prefer natural treatments such as taking vitamins for acne. If you know what vitamins are good for acne, you can use natural treatments of vitamins for acne in the form of a dietary supplement or a topical medication.
Best Vitamin for Acne
There are several stages of acne including cysts, nodules and blackheads and whiteheads. As a natural treatment for all stages, Vitamin A is often recommended as the best vitamin for acne. However, vitamin A for acne needs to be taken in the right way. Taking vitamin A supplements may not be the best treatment according to studies at the University of Michigan. Since vitamin A is fat soluble, it can build-up in the body and become toxic if the levels get too high. This can be dangerous for pregnant women, so if they are considering vitamin a for acne, they should consult a doctor first.
As a topical medication, vitamin A for acne can be very effective. The vitamin is altered into a retinoid which can be directly applied to the skin. Studies at the Mayo Clinic show that vitamin A for acne in the form of retinoids is effective because it quickly regenerate and heal the skin. While using a topical retinoid medication, you should avoid long exposure to direct sunlight because they weaken your skin’s natural ultraviolet (UV) protection.
B Vitamins for Acne
Many of the B vitamins have no direct effect on acne, but their deficiency in the body can cause acne-like outbreaks, which is why it is considered important for a person to know what vitamins are good for acne.
• Vitamin B5 or pantothenic metabolizes fats, proteins and carbohydrates. It is rare for people to have deficiency in B5, but if they do, the result is acneiform dermatitis. This is the best vitamin for acne because it reduces the fat in the sebaceous glands and less sebum is produced.
• Vitamin B6 reduces the production of certain hormones that cause acne. It reduces the inflammatory response to skin injuries. However, it needs to be taken carefully because if take in large doses it can have the opposite effect and cause acne.
• Vitamin B7 or biotin is easy to get from food, but if there is a deficiency, it can cause hair loss, depression and acne-like dermatitis. A deficiency can be caused by oral antibiotics and other things. It’s important to know what vitamins are good for acne because taken in large doses they will interfere with vitamin B5, which may cause acne outbreaks.
• Vitamin B12 or cobalamin is beneficial vitamin for acne because it promotes hormonal balance and reduces inflammatory responses of the immune system in the skin.
Vitamins C and E
Vitamin C is an excellent antioxidant and is important for cellular repair in the body. It fights infection and boosts immunity.
Vitamin E is another antioxidant and it helps repel free radicals that can harm the skin. It is known to enhance tissue repair in all parts of the body especially on the skin.
Now that you know what vitamins are good for acne, you can find the best vitamin for acne for your skin type. When you buy vitamins for acne, be sure to get pure, high-quality vitamins.
Vitamins For Acne | What Vitamins Are Good For Acne? Credit Picture License: bride with a mirror via photopin (license)
Other People Are Reading:
- About Us 28 views
- Contact Us 19 views
- The Beginner’s Guide To Dieting 82 views
- Buyer’s Guide: Best Rowing Machine for Home Use in 2014 44 views